Friday, April 6, 2007

hypocrisy and the true meaning of prententiousness


pretentious.

the word makes me think of a person with a holier-than-thou attitude.

i think of someone who has. who has stuff. and who likes to flaunt it.

a friend of the family just bought a 39 feet 5th wheel (a camper that you drag on the back of your car or truck or whatever.)

3 TV w/cable and dvd players
two queen size beds and a double bed
en suite
motorcycle garage
etc.

it cost $60,000

i haven't seen it, but i'm sure it's lovely.

my mom told me about her friends' new purchase after saying i was weird for not wanting a TV, telling me i was 'different' for actually looking forward to sleeping in a tent and not wearing make up.


but for me, anyone who wouldn't LOVE to sleep in a tent and shower only when necessary, to be far from computers and cable TV (oh, the irony, i know... i am writing this on a computer and in a few short hours will be at work(on a computer) for my last day as somebody who writes (on a computer) about reality TV and designs TV guides(on a computer) is the weirdo!

for me, the thought of dropping $60, 000 on a trailer when i already have a few vehicles, motorcycles, and a nice home with a swimming pool etc., is insane.

who even has $60,000? puleeez just pay off my osap for me. i will be forever grateful.

i look down at people who live their lives in excess.

people who spend paychecks on clothes at aritsia. (i have an outfit from lululemon)

people who kick their feet up while laying on a beach though meters away children are dying in the streets. at night they booze until they vomit because the trip they went on comes with all-inclusive drinks.

sports cars that land them in debt. (have taken many much-appreciated rides in one)

leather couch, massage chair, flat screen TV. (use the massage chair every chance i've had)

stuff.

i don't even know what to say about hollywood.

to me, it is all ignorance. extravagance. it makes me sick.
almost as sick as mushy peas.

so tell me, please, with an attitude like this, who's pretentious?

though i may not be decked out in name-brand clothes, have spent hours on my make up, or flat-ironed my hair every morning for the last three years, who's the snob?


it's hard not to judge. i find myself judging people more and more and more. i like to think i have a pretty 'live and let live' thing going on, but it kinda seems to be 'live like i live.'

pretentious.

the word makes me think of a person with a holier-than-thou attitude.




1 comment:

jevy said...

It's a great question. We all have to struggle with what our priorities are. Money really can be a God and so is keeping with the Jones'.

Maybe it's what a lot of people put their security in. The media feeds it to us-- "buy this it can make you happy"... and we lap it right up. Go team!

Where can I get my security?